Tasty & Healthy - Heart-Healthy Nasi Lemak
Ingredients (serves 5):
For Nasi Lemak:
- 250 g brown rice
- 300 ml water }
- 50 ml evaporated milk }
- 2 pieces Pandan leave (knotted) } Ingredients A
- ½ inch ginger }
- 1 piece lemongrass (smash the bottom part) }
- ½ tsp salt }
For Sambal :
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 50 g big onion (sliced)
- 30 g dried chilli (boiled until soft & blended)
- 2 pieces dried asam
- 50 g dried anchovies (pan fry without oil until crispy)
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp sugar
- 10 slices of cucumber
- 5 hard boiled eggs (each egg is cut into 2)
To prepare the nasi lemak:
- Rinse the brown rice thoroughly.
- Put the brown rice in the rice cooker along with Ingredients A for nasi lemak and cook for 25 minutes.
To prepare the side dishes:
- Heat up the pan and stir-fry 50g peanuts without oil and transfer into a bowl.
- Stir-fry 50g anchovies without oil until crispy and transfer into a bowl.
To prepare the sambal:
- Boil 30g dried chili until soft with water. Turn off the heat.
- Blend the boiled dried chillies together with 50g onions and 200ml water.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan then add in the blended mixture.
- Add ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp sugar and the asam. Mix well and turn off the heat. The sambal is ready to be served.
Lastly, serve the nasi lemak with peanuts, anchovies, sambal, cucumber slices, and hard boiled egg.
Heart-Healthy Nasi Lemak nutrition content per serving: